Apache Cassandra™ is an open-source project and a second-generation distributed NoSQL database. It is the best choice for higher availability and scalability of the database. Cassandra supports replication across multiple datacenters. It makes the write and read processes highly scalable by offering tunable consistency. Whether you have experience in programming or are looking to get started for the first time, this workshop will put you on the fast track to honing your python and data analysis skills. In this bootcamp you’ll get hands-on programming experience in Python that you’ll be able to immediately apply in the real world. The workshop will cover the fundamentals of Python and several tools used in data science.
This workshop is for analysts, product managers, mathematicians, business managers or anyone else that wants to learn how to code in Python.
In this workshop you’ll learn the end-to-end data science process:
- Collect data from a variety of sources (e.g., Excel, web-scraping, APIs and others)
- Explore large data sets
- Clean and “munge” the data to prepare it for analysis
- Apply machine learning algorithms to gain insight from the data
- Visualize the results of your analysis
This is a very practical and hands-on workshop that has lots of class exercises. You’ll build your own library of Python scripts that can be reused after your done with the course.
Prereqs & Preparation
You must bring a laptop with a text editor.
Sublime Text is recommended and has a free trial version (http://www.sublimetext.com/).
In addition, students should install Anaconda, which is a free package that includes python and a number of tools that will be used in class (http://continuum.io/downloads).
Session I: Intro to Python Fundamentals
Section 1: Introduction
- Lecture 1 Introduction
Section 2: Cassandra Overview
- Lecture 2 What is Apache Cassandra
- Lecture 3 Cassandra Data Model
- Lecture 4 RDBMS Comparison
- Lecture 5 How it Works
- Lecture 6 Hadoop
Section 3: Getting Started
- Lecture 7 Available Software
- Lecture 8 Installing Cassandra in Linux
- Lecture 9 DataStax Windows Installer
Section 4: Cassandra Query Language (CQL)
- Lecture 10 CQL Overview
- Lecture 11Planning & Struture
- Lecture 12 Creating Tables & Fields
- Lecture 13 Inserting & Selecting Data
- Lecture 14 Updating, Altering & Deleting Data
Section 5: NodeJS Cassandra Application – Part 1
- Lecture 15 NodeJS & Express Setup
- Lecture 16 Select & Display Users
- Lecture 17 Select & Display Single User
- Lecture 18 Add Users
- Lecture 19 Update User
Section 6: NodeJS Cassandra Application – Part 2
- Lecture 20 HTTP Delete Request
- Lecture 21 Display Shouts & UserShouts
- Lecture 22 Batch Insert Queries
- Lecture 23 Add Some Style